Thursday, January 22, 2009

So Annabelle learned how to tie her shoes today, she asked me to show her and ten minutes later she could tie her own shoes. She was so excited to tell Jack when he got home. She ran up to him with her shoes on and said, “Who do you think tied these shoes?” Then she showed him! Such a rite of passage.

It struck me that she learns how to do new stuff all the time, because she wants to, not because someone asks or makes her. She has this drive to learn; I think all children are born with this drive to learn.

She just learned about erasers. She mostly draws and writes with crayons, markers, pastels, colored pencils, but regular old #2s are new for her. She was writing the word snow, a word she learned to sound out yesterday, and accidentally wrote an “M” instead of an “N.” I showed how she could erase the extra mark to make it into an “N.” Then she proceeded to make lots of “mistakes,” just so she could erase them.

Everyday brings new wonders and new ideas for her to try, new things she is interested in, new words she wants to spell. Today it was ‘hummingbird.”

She helped me cook dinner today, chopping up peppers and carrots, stirring in herbs and spices. When we ate dinner, she was proud of the meal she made. She thought it was really delicious. It is delicious to feel so competent.

Last night as she was falling asleep, she said, “I can count to 22.” And then she did, but she went past 22 and when she arrived at 29, then she said, “20-10, 20-11.” I helped her with 30, then she made it to 39 and again, “30-10, 30-11.” So I helped her with 40, then 50, all the way while she counted until 100. Then she fell asleep.

This is why we homeschool, because I see what she can do and I don’t want anyone to stop her progress. Even I have to work to close my mouth or sit on my hands so she can have the opportunity to try and fail and try again. I help when she asks or if she needs me to, but mostly I just get to enjoy the process, her own process and it is amazing.

3 comments:

Tita Mama said...

What a great mom and teacher you are! I am proud! Proud of Annabelle for all her accomplishments and proud of her mom, too! I love you.

Frank Baker said...

You are a great mother and teacher. We are very proud of you. I love hearing from you. I have made many mistakes with my typing.
Cloody

Lori said...

beautiful post!!! :^)