Monday, January 19, 2009


As I watch my children play at the park the other day, I am struck by how much they play together. Annabelle calls to Max, "Come on!" They climb and run together while I talk with other moms. I had hoped they would play and enjoy each other's company and as I watch it I think how lucky they are. It reminds of a evening right before Christmas:


One evening while Jack and I are sitting in the living room, Annabelle and Max build. (They are building with Brio Mechs, a set of building materials with boards with pre-made holes and nail and screws and hammers and screwdrivers.) First my attention is drawn because they are working so queitly. I watch Max as he puts a nail into the board and back out again, over and over. This is one of my favovite things: to watch my 16 month old, explore and experiment and learn. His desire to really understand something and his persistence are beautiful.


Then Max starts to struggle with his building and Annabelle says in a soft voice, "Baby Boy, do you need some help?" He answers, "Duh," which is Max for yes. She shows him how to use the hammer to remove a nail, how to hold it steady while you hammer, teaching him, so he can learn to do it for himself.


I want to hold this moment to remember it the next time they are fussing at me or each other. I want to remember this quiet scene of creativity, exploration, persistence, respectfulness, and love.

2 comments:

Frank Baker said...

The children are precious. I see Max has traded his doll baby in for a hammer.

Thanks for the posts. We look forward to them. Keep them coming.

Tita Mama said...

I love Annabelle's hair pulled back in pony tails. I get to see all of her pretty face! Love ya'll.